Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Good-bye Delores, I have hair now

Woke up with bed head this morning. To most people, this would be annoying, to wake up and look in the mirror only to see your hair sticking out in all sorts of unattractive ways. Me, I am just so glad to have hair! And now I'm THRILLED that it's finally long enough to look funny after I sleep on it!

I'm happy to have hair and even happier that it seems to be growing fast. Kelly, my hairdresser, cleaned up the straggly hairs last week with the electric clippers. It was the same clipper/razor/shaver thing she used for my crewcut back in October, when my hair was falling out left and right and I couldn't take it anymore.

Kelly was so funny when she saw my hair. She was excited for me that I had so much hair so soon after treatment. Someone else she knows who finished chemo before me didn't have nearly as much hair as me, she said. The other hairdresser in her shop agreed. Perhaps they were making it up to make me feel better, but I definitely appreciated the support and loved the fuss they made over my hair.

I showed Kelly a picture of Annie Lennox that I found online. (Go to http://www.annielennox.co.uk/ , click Images, then click the top image, a black-and-white. It will bring up the "Annie & photography" category of photos. About 7 images down, there is a pic of Annie with a teddy bear.)

Anyway, in this picture Annie is sporting a really cool chunky hairdo, very short of course, and blond. I'm shooting for something Annie Lennox-ish. I always liked her hair, although I never wanted it for myself, much preferred my hair long. But now that I'm in this lack-of-hair position, I might as well go for it! Kelly thinks my hair will be long enough by June to be able to "go Annie". I might change my mind about the color and do something more red, though. Not sure. I've never colored my hair before. I've always liked my color, but now that it's coming in this horrid brownish-grayish-whitish color, I'm ready to experiment!

I left Kelly's with a cleaned-up crewcut. I look like my dad did in the 1960s with his buzzcut. Close-shaved on the sides. Short on top, but not the sticking-up-straight kind of short, it lies flat. If you rub my head (which I encourage the girls to do, I tell them it will make my hair grow faster) you will say my hair feels so soft, like a Schnauzer puppy. It is pretty cool!

So now that I have this cool crewcut, I hung Delores on her wig stand for good. She, along with Audrey-Angelina and Paige, are perched on their wig stands, sitting on my dresser. I really should put them away before they get dusty. My plan is to donate them to the American Cancer Society. They collect wigs for cancer patients who need them. Delores, though.....I may be selfish and keep her around for future bad hair days. Sometimes it's nice to put on a ponytail! One of these days I'll have a real ponytail. Maybe it'll even be blond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home