Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Hair Appointment Next Week!

Emma and Leah are so confused. "Mommy, why are you going to Miss Kelly's on Wednesday? You don't need a haircut!"

They are dumbfounded. It is so cute. Frances, on the other hand, just raves about my "Uncle David hair" (my brother used to have a crewcut). "Mommy, your Uncle David hair is back!" she cries, clapping her hands. She is so happy for me, and I am too.

We're all happy because I'm sprouting hair left and right. My hair started coming back in a few weeks ago, and my eyebrows not too long after that. My eyelashes, while short and wiry, are there too. I no longer feel like Rufus the Naked Mole Rat (for those of you without little kids, he's on a cartoon called Kim Possible). It is just great.

I know the most important thing for me is to get better, to heal, and to do what I can to keep the cancer from coming back. And I'm focusing on all that, I truly am. I'm so grateful that I've come this far, and that my doctors offer happy thoughts regarding my prognosis.

But you can't blame me for being overjoyed at the return of my hair!

P.S. Still not sure what color it will turn out to be....it's a mix of red and brown, and the longest, straggliest hairs are grey/white

1 Comments:

  • At 3/23/07, 10:25 PM, Blogger Dems for Education said…

    Hey Kate,

    I was getting worried bec. we haven't spoken in a while. I just your last few posts, and it sounds like you've been having "a bit of difficulty," as my grandmother would say. I know you feel like you have to be brave all the time, but I bet David was glad that you could let your hair down with him (ha! made you smile?) and complain. I KNOW you're not a whiner. But constant pain and illness is exhausting. I think it's okay to acknowledge that -- not that you surrender to it, but it's a part of what you're going through.

    That said, I hope you feel better SOON and we can get together and have a nice bottle of Strawberry Hill '07!

    Love, me

     

Post a Comment

<< Home