Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ba da, Ba da, Ba da, Ba da...Feelin' Groovy

Yes, drugs are a wonderful thing. Those of you with children, my apologies if they read this over your shoulder and get the wrong impression. But I can't say enough about the drugs my doctors have me on. They are working wonders, really making this treatment somewhat tolerable.

I've got TussinEX, a cough medicine laced with hydrocodone, to keep me from coughing myself off the radiation table. (Moving targets are bad.) It also gives me a little cough relief at night when I'm trying to sleep. It is supposed to make me loopy, and I'm not supposed to drive, so I get a ride to radiation every morning (different people from church and the neighborhood have stepped forward, schedule coordinated by good friends Christine and Tracy).

I also have Femara, my old friend that is keeping the breast cancer at bay. This is a different cancer, remember? Squamous cell? Because who wants to deal with breast cancer when you've got this other cancer going on?

And I have Nystatin, for thrush, which I had in my mouth (from when I was taking Prednisone). Although the thrush is gone from my mouth, I still take that medicine because the radiation can cause it in my esophagus. It is a sickly sweet liquid that makes me want to yak! Ugh!

Speaking of Prednisone, my oncologist just prescribed that for me the other day. I've had a weird pressure in my ribcage the past few days, and she's concerned that there is inflamation somewhere in there....maybe the liver, maybe just the tumor reacting to treatment. But to be safe, she wants me to take a low dose of the steroid for the next week. I'm fine with that, it's a puppy-upper sort of pill and I'll take all the pep I can get!

Beginning Wednesday nights and usually continuing through Sunday morning, I take Compazine, an anti-nausea pill. That settles my stomach better than gingerale or any comfort food! I've only taken one dose this morning--it's a 4-times-a-day pill--and haven't given it a second thought. Of course, now that I'm talking about it, my stomach is starting to go all queasy on me.

So I guess this is a good time to wrap up this little drug overview and say TTFN (Tigger talk, means "ta-ta for now").

By the way, I am feeling pretty good today, which is great for a Thursday after Tuesday chemo. I fell asleep on the sofa for a few hours over lunchtime, woke up feeling sleepy but not sick. Thank goodness for the little things!

3 Comments:

  • At 1/15/09, 9:14 PM, Blogger Jenster said…

    Nystatin - blech. I'm glad you're liking the drugs!! And I love your attitude! You rock. :o) Keeping you in my prayers, dear!

     
  • At 1/21/09, 12:08 PM, Blogger Jayne said…

    Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you!!

     
  • At 1/22/09, 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kate,
    You're in my thoughts and prayers everyday. I, too, love your strong attitude! Keep up the fight!! If you need an old friend to help you or to make you laugh, call me and I will come visit.
    Sue K

     

Post a Comment

<< Home