Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on" I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

On my own today

John went back to work today. Well, back to the office. He's been working from home since January 3rd, so he could be available should I need help with the kids or the house or whatever. I wanted him to return to the office this week because I wanted to try being on my own. I'm 2 weeks out from my last chemo treatment, and I have just 1 week until surgery. I really wanted to see if I could handle it.

This was my day: Up early to make lunches and make sure Emma ate a decent breakfast and brushed her teeth before leaving for the bus stop. Move slowpoke Leah along (she takes after her father!) so John can take her to preschool on the way to the office. Grab a shower before baby and Frances wake up. Feed and entertain the kids. Run the dishwasher. Load up Frances and Jesse in the van and pick up Leah at preschool. Get Frances down for nap. Get baby down for nap. Play tea party with Leah until the bus comes, and run to meet Emma at the bus stop. Collapse on the sofa for maybe 5 minutes. Go get baby, who's up from his nap. Call John and leave a frantic message, reminding him he's supposed to come home before Emma's piano lesson at 4. Realize that I haven't eaten lunch, so grab a salad and have a snack with Emma while she does her homework.

A typical day. But I made it. The house may not have been as picked up as I'd have liked, but I didn't mind that much. I was glad that I saved my energy for the kids, so when Leah so excitedly said that she had a tea party ready for me, I could say, "OK sweetie, let's play" instead of "After I pick up all these clothes and clear the counter and do some laundry and clean up this messy house!"

I will admit, I needed a nap before dinner. Fortunately, I have a husband who can handle the kids and dinner. I even grabbed another shower after my nap. It was great. Showers these days only take me about 10 minutes. Sometimes I really love having no hair.

I can't believe I was afraid I'd forget how to run the house! I've been doing all these things throughout chemo, but some tasks here and there, not all in one day. It was like riding a bike, uphill.

Of course, I need to learn that getting to bed at a decent hour will help me in the energy department the next day. So I will say good night for now. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's adventure, on my own again with the kids!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home