Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Back to normal pretty soon!

Well, it's Thursday and I'm finally feeling a little bit energetic. This last treatment was tough! I'm glad it was my last. I can't believe people actually work through treatment. My doctor says it's possible.....

I did have a wonderful weekend, at least, before the pain kicked in. On Saturday, still feeling peppy, I took my friend Janet, and Emma and Leah, to get their nails done. I just watched, but that was fun too. I'm supposed to avoid manicures/pedicures because of the risk of infection, really a bummer because I had grown accustomed to my quarterly pedicure, something I started when I was pregnant with Jesse.

The girls chose their colors (Emma a bright orange/gold, Leah a vibrant fuschia, Janet a dark red called "Mrs O'Leary's BBQ"). Everyone's nails looked fabulous. We stopped at the Dairy Queen for a treat, then headed home. Emma and Leah were just about asleep by the time we pulled in, tired girls after their spa treatment!

Janet and I took a walk later that afternoon, taking turns pulling Frances in the wagon. I wanted to keep moving and enjoy my overabundance of energy while I had it! Of course I forgot that I'm not supposed to be out in the sun (because of chemo) and I ended up with two bright red cheeks that night. Oh well. I do that every time. Must be the chemo, making me so forgetful!

Saturday night some friends brought us dinner, a nice treat. It was a pot roast, absolutely delicious! Mine always come out tough, so I rarely make them. I need to hit people up for their recipes, I think.

By later Sunday morning I was really starting to feel it. Everything hurt. Wah wah wah, I know! How many postings can I dedicate to whining about the pain, I wonder? This should be the last one, I hope. It just surprised me because the achiness lasted longer than usual, and I took Percocet at least 4 times in a 2-day span, and in the daytime too! I hadn't taken it but twice (total) in the previous 3 treatments, and only at night.

Here's what my pain was like. Humor me, and I promise I'll stop complaining about it. It really helps me to get this all out!: It was like a roulette game of aches. For example, I'd be sitting on the sofa with my feet propped up on the coffee table. My knees would start to hurt, so I'd get up to shake them out. They'd stop hurting, but then my lower back would hurt. I'd walk around a little to get some relief and my back would eventually feel better but then my arms would ache! So I'd crawl upstairs crying (or just sit there and cry for John to fetch it for me), take a painkiller and lie down. It went on like this until yesterday afternoon. It was almost funny, never knowing what part of me would hurt when, like someone (who didn't like me much) had a little Katie VooDoo Doll.

Today I'm tons better, still a little slow, but I can feel a big difference. That's good, because I have my dance class tonight. I look forward to it every Thursday, in fact I chose Friday as my chemo day so I would have a chance to be stronger for Thursday's class. Now, please don't have high hopes for my dance career! This is not my calling! This is an adult jazz class I'm taking at my daughters' ballet studio. Because their mom is taking a class, they get to dance in the recital with me (and the other mother/daughter combos) in a special mother/daughter dance. That's in addition to their own dances with their class, and I have to dance with my class too. Emma and Leah are excited because it means an extra costume for them. I signed up for this class before I learned about my cancer, and I decided to stick with it because it is good exercise....even though I am not a good dancer. Not graceful at all. But the teacher is very sweet, the other women in class are a lot of fun. (They all promised to catch my wig should it fly off in the middle of our routine!) Plus I haven't tripped yet, or at least not fallen down from it, AND....I'm in the back row for our recital number!

Be grateful for the small things, right? I'm grateful to have made it through this far. Three weeks from now I get this cancer, what's left of it, taken out. That is so cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home