Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Monday, April 16, 2007

anyone know any happy stories?

Last week, I called one of the writers from the local paper. Her name appeared at the end of a story titled "When Cancer Returns". What a depressing article! Ever since Elizabeth Edwards' recurrence hit the news, I've read nothing but bad things about cancer survivors.....all about how they went cancer-free for years only to be hit once again.

I don't mean to be unkind or unfeeling. I certainly sympathize with anyone who has to go through this twice. BUT....I just finished my treatment and am trying to move on. The last thing I want to see is more Debbie-Downer stuff!

So I called the writer, introduced myself, told her I enjoyed her article but as a recent breast cancer survivor I would really love to see some happy stories. How about an article featuring people who dealt with cancer years ago and haven't had a problem since? (Or how about, although I didn't have the nerve to suggest it, how about a recent survivor whose parents and siblings supported her all through treatment and who are ALL coming to town in May to walk/run in the Race for the Cure? And whose sister is already one of the top 5 fundraisers for the race?)

The writer was less than polite. I swear I heard her snort at me before she said, "We don't usually run anything like that until October.....Breast Cancer Awareness Month."

That's all she had to say. I told her that was too bad, that it really would be nice to see some good news for a change. But that was it. She had nothing to add, wasn't interested. Maybe the editor would be the one to send requests to, I don't know. At least I tried!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home