Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Please come to my pity party

We have so much sickness in the house, it is ridiculous! Poor Leah threw up all over the kitchen floor last night. Apparently, the stomach-ache-throwing-up virus has been running rampant through her 1st grade classroom. A good friend of hers was up all Friday night with it, and I hear another friend had it last night. And Leah just finished the antibiotics for the strep she had a week and a half ago! Poor girl can't catch a break!

Jesse has been on antibiotics for about a week. He's got a runny-nose-cough thing going on. He also just finished antibiotics not long ago for a wicked ear infection. The pediatrician now has him on Nasonex (nasal spray), just like sister Leah who is on it almost year-round for allergies.

Frances is sounding very nasal these days and is very very crabby and demanding. The demanding part is nothing new; though a sweet girl, Frances can be very needy and clingy at times. But the foul moods and the nasal thing....something may be brewing with her. Our nanny (did you know we have a nanny here to help me with the kids? weekdays from 8am to 2pm. She is wonderful!) thinks it's PMS. I know kids are starting puberty earlier these days, but at 4-almost-5-years-old? Hmmm. Should we call Mr. Ripley?

John and I both have sinus infections, and luckily we have doctors who take our word for it over the phone (and know there's a cancer patient in the house) and so we are both on the Z-pack. How great to be saved from an office visit, who knows what else we'd pick up in the waiting room???

Our one healthy girl, 10-year-old Emma, is keeping her distance from everyone in the house. The ironic thing about this is, Emma's birthday slumber party was scheduled for tonight (the schools are closed Monday)....and now, because of everyone else's sicknesses, especially with Leah throwing up, we've had to postpone the party. I wouldn't say Emma was devastated, but she was plenty disappointed. I'm a little relieved, because the way I feel now (I get winded just walking across the room!) I don't know how I could possibly lead a handful of 10-year-olds through the party stuff. We have a craft planned, plus make-your-own sundaes (a craft in itself), a movie, and lots of pizza. I'm tired just thinking about it!

So instead of a birthday party, we're doing a pity party today. We'd be so happy if you could join us! What makes you pitiful today? Please share! ;-)

3 Comments:

  • At 1/26/09, 11:06 PM, Blogger Bacardi Mama said…

    I'm so sorry for your house full of sickies. What makes me pitiful today--lack of weight loss. Not a biggie compared to you.

     
  • At 1/27/09, 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi katie,i'm exausted just reading
    about your daily goings-on,makes my
    problems seem insignificant,hope all you guys recover from your cold/flu stuff soon,your "amazing",
    see you february 12 in the am,i'll
    call to make sure its ok to drop in on the way to florida,can't wait to see you,we love you,kick that cancers butt.
    love cousin ken w,nancy
    & "clint" (our pekingese)

     
  • At 1/28/09, 10:21 AM, Blogger Jenster said…

    Maybe you're getting all the sicki-stuff at once??? I'm so sorry all that is going on. I'll join the party, but I think I'll stay here where everyone is feeling good (at the moment!)

    Did you get snow last night? Our schools were closed today - YEA!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home