Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Friday, December 01, 2006

1 down, 3 to go

Well, I completed today's chemo with success. It was the first of 4 treatments of Taxol (paclitaxel). Really not much to report. I slept a little because of the Benadryl they gave me (in case I had an allergic reaction to the drug), then I woke up again because of the steroids they gave me (to make the antinausea medicine work better). So I was in between loopy and hyper, like Jekyl and Hyde!

I was plugged in from about 10:15 until almost 3:00. That was not fun. They dripped the Taxol verrrrrrrrry slowwwwwwwwwly this first time, but since I had no allergic reaction (YAY!) they can go a little faster next time (YAY YAY YAY!). That's good, because I was really bored.

Someone turned on the TV around lunchtime, really loud. It happened to be facing my chair. I did some crossword puzzles and wanted to write some letters but couldn't concentrate with the TV so loud. I finally gave in and watched parts of The Young and the Restless, The Bold and the Beautiful, As the World Turns, and Guiding Light. It was painful. I think my IQ sunk a bit this afternoon. And I never noticed before, but male soap opera actors all have really bad haircuts! I know, I should talk, me with my bristly hedgehog hairdo!

I feel OK, a little tired from sitting in the chair all that time. I was anxious to get home to see the girls and Jesse. John took everyone outside to play (we call it Mandatory Outside Time when there is resistance) and Jesse is here at the PC with me. He's getting a little fidgety, and it's slow-going, typing with one hand. I will need to write again later.

But in case you haven't noticed, this chemo regimen is not my favorite. I'm all about speed, and this is not fast in the least. I'll have to plan my time better for the next one. And sit far far away from the television!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home