Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on" I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Interesting checkup today

Well, now I know why I've been so tired this week! I'm anemic. Not enough to have to take iron pills (phew! they are awful!), but enough....

And here I was blaming it all on the chemo. I slept most of Sunday, and was really dragging Monday. By Wednesday I was back to normal energy-wise, so I went ahead and cooked dinner and baked a dessert. Thursday morning I was exhausted again. (Wah wah wah) I just figured the chemo had caught up to me. I guess it did, in a way, causing the anemic thing.

I wonder if that's why I wanted a hamburger so badly on Wednesday? My body knew I needed that iron! Assuming my body's that smart.....I'm not so sure since it allowed this cancer to grow!

My checkup today with the oncologist was pretty uneventful, the usual weigh-in and bloodtaking. I've maintained my weight throughout treatment, not counting the 8 pounds I dropped once I was diagnosed. (I don't remember not eating, but my husband claims it's true. I had been hanging on to a few extra pregnancy pounds anyway, so I wasn't that sorry to see the weight go, it just wasn't the way I wanted to lose it at all.)

I did have something strange happen today at the checkup. My blood pressure was 99/60. "Does that mean I'm dead?" I asked the nurse. She told me that your blood pressure can dip like that when you're going through chemotherapy. Interesting.

After being weighed and drained of blood, I had a short wait to see my oncologist. Once again, she was pleased with my progress, and the tumor's progress (still shrinking, and softening too....apparently a good thing). We talked about starting up with new drug on December 1st, and how that drug (Taxol) is generally a lot easier to take than the stuff I just finished (Adriamycin/Cytoxin). So the next 4 treatments should be like a little vacation. I'm hoping!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my 3-week break between treatments. A real vacation! I guess I'll be eating more spinach and red meat from now on. I want to be awake and peppy to make the most of this drug-free time.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home