Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Tired and wired but glad this round's over

That's how I am today, Tired and Wired.....unable to sit still and unable to nap! Just waiting for the steroids to wear off so I can get some decent sleep. Last night I slept on and off, partly because of the drugs and partly because of the kids. Poor Frances woke up calling for me. She had a nightmare, so I held her and curled up with her for a bit, then snuck back to my own bed. She woke up again about 30 minutes later. I just carried her back to my room and let her sleep with me. It was easier. Of course, she likes hanging out in Mommy's room after chemo, because she knows I keep a big bowl of crackers and pretzels on my nightstand. After a little snack, Frances was off to sleep. She actually slept in until after 8am. Not bad!

Yesterday was my last treatment of the AC (Adriamycin and Cytoxin), one of the stronger mixes of the chemo drugs they use for my type of breast cancer. Maybe the strongest, I don't know. It has a number of pretty bad side effects, which for the most part I've avoided. Just a queasy stomach for a few days. I really can't complain, but I'm not sorry it's over!

Now I get a 3-week break and on December 1st start up with my last 4 treatments, this time of Taxol. Per my oncologist, this stuff is not as harsh on your stomach as the AC, but they administer it with Benedryll and Zantac because of possible allergic reaction, and it is a 3-hour infusion (that's 3 solid hours with the drip going, yikes! The AC was only 1 hour). I was told to make sure I had a ride home because I will be pretty groggy afterwards.

If I had a choice I'd rather be queasy than groggy. But since it's out of my control, I plan to make the most of it. After all, 3 hours of quiet is a long stretch of time, something I rarely get at home! I guess I'll bring my blanket and iPod, take a nap in the chemo chair, and enjoy my 3 hours of quiet time. And then maybe after they wheel me home, I'll actually get a decent night's sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home