Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

you know you're looking better when...

You definitely know you're looking better and healthier when the kids go to your side of the bed (not Daddy's) in the wee hours!

Usually I'm the one they wake up with their emergencies....you know, "Mommy I had a bad dweam", "Mommy I can't find Baby Brownie" (stuffed animal), "Mommy the closet door is open and I'm scared", or my favorite: "Mommy I have to throw up" (and then they do, all over me!)

But the last several weeks, since I started radiation and chemo, the girls have been going to John's side of the bed. At first I think it was by accident, because we rearranged our bedroom and switched sides just before treatment started. (I wanted a fresh look, better feng shui.) So they thought they were getting Mommy but it turned out to be Daddy. And then not long after that, I was totally out of it, so wiped out, that John told them to get him instead of me. Even Baby Jesse stopped calling for Mommy when he woke up with a wet diaper. He called "Daddy Daddy!" instead, which made me cry.

Since the middle of last week, I've been getting the visits. I don't mind at all, especially now that I'm feeling like my mojo is on its way back. Last week, around 3am, Leah ran to my side of the bed and said "Mommy Mommy! Look! My tooth fell out!" That snaggletooth had finally come out on her pillow. Thank goodness she didn't swallow it! I calmed her down, got her to use the potty while I wrapped up the tooth in toilet paper. We put it under her pillow and hoped it wasn't too late for the tooth fairy to come. (It wasn't.)

Last night's visit from Frances was something else! She came to my side of the bed, crying hysterically. "What's wrong honey?" I said, "Did you have a bad dream?"

"No," she wailed. "My underwear fell off my head and I can't find it!"

The girls have been wishing for snow, and they heard if you wear your pajamas inside out and sleep with your underwear on your head, then it will bring on the snow. So, little Frances went to bed last night with her (clean) underwear pulled completely over her pretty little head. It was all the way down to her chin! What a girl! After she fell asleep, John must have taken them off so she wouldn't suffocate, and so when she woke up at 2am and couldn't find them, she panicked. I hugged her and promised that it only mattered if the undies were on her head when she went to bed, that the snow didn't care if they weren't on when she woke up. She was OK with that and soon settled down for the rest of the night.

And today we had a bit of snow!

I don't always get back to sleep right away after these wee-hour-visits, but I am so glad they are coming to see me, finally. It makes me feel like things are getting back to normal. At least the girls think Mommy's looking better. And Jesse has started calling for Mommy once again, which is wonderful! John still gets the diaper, but at least baby hasn't forgotten me.

3 Comments:

  • At 1/28/09, 1:11 PM, Blogger Jenster said…

    Underwear on the head, huh? Never heard of that one. Funny stuff!

    Glad they're coming to you! Except for the diaper. I think that's only fair. :O)

     
  • At 1/28/09, 3:25 PM, Blogger Jayne said…

    What a sweet post. Glad that you are on the upswing, girl!

     
  • At 1/29/09, 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your kids want snow???
    come on up to new jersey,i got
    home from work yesterday and
    shoveled heavy snow,slush,ice and
    water for 2-1/2 hours after having
    trigger point injections in my back
    the previous day,fun-fun-fun,by the
    way it was 34 degrees and raining
    the entire time.
    can't wait to head to florida!!!
    cousin ken w.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home