Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Another great checkup!

I saw my oncologist on Friday, for my "off-chemo-week" checkup. She was very pleased that my white count was high, and my platelets and red blood count were good too.

I brought my films with me, since she hadn't seen the mammogram my surgeon took in November (to help him better estimate whether I would need a lumpectomy or partial mastectomy.... we're looking at a lumpectomy). She showed me the mammogram and pointed out the "areas of calcification" (cancer) and also the lymph nodes in my armpit. Everything was so much smaller and fainter than in August! It was amazing. I had read all my mammogram reports and knew from the numbers that everything was shrinking, but I never took the time to look at the films.

I asked my doctor about the Taxol, and whether my cancer would respond to it. Just because the AC worked so well, does that mean the Taxol will too? She said that whatever cancer cells the AC missed, the Taxol is likely to pick up. Based on the good response to the first drug, she's expecting a similar response with this one. And once again, she told me that there may be nothing to remove when I go in for surgery in February. (They'd remove from the general area anyway, just in case, which is fine with me. I would insist they take something. Just not too much! I don't have a lot to spare!)

I felt pretty good leaving the doctor's office on Friday. Still feeling good, enjoying the days until my next treatment. 5 down, 3 to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home