Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

I hope she doesn't mind if I brag a bit

My sister, Susie, just ran a marathon today. She ran the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. It is a 26.2 mile run (that's 26-point-2....don't forget the point-2, Susie says).

She ran it in 5 hours, 47 minutes, and 18 seconds. I am so impressed! I can't even run for 5 minutes without getting a stitch in my side. I've just never been a runner....a walker, yes, but not a runner.

Susie has been training for the race for awhile now, and I was afraid we had spoiled it for her back in September. She came to visit just before my surgery, and on the flight home (she lives in Boston) she caught something and suffered through a sinus infection for weeks. It set her back in her training a bit, but obviously she recovered because she finished the race and did so well!

I am proud of my little sister, and really pleased that when she was given a free phone call at the end of the race, she chose to call ME! Well OK, she really wanted to talk to the kids, plus our parents and brother were already there, cheering her on so there wasn't anyone else to call but me. But still, I got to hear her voice!

She sounded great, not even winded. She said her quads hurt and she was a little chilly, but fine. I told her to find Mom and Dad, because they had a snack for her. We sent her some GORP from the Girl Scouts, a favorite.

26.2 miles. What an accomplishment! It was a personal goal Susie set for herself and she worked hard to make it happen. I am in awe. Makes me want to take a nice long walk, to get some exercise too. And maybe I'll start training for next year's Race for the Cure. I plan to walk it next year, not work the water station. Maybe I can get some tips from Susie, and work on my running. I wouldn't be able to keep up with her, of course, but it would be a personal goal worth setting.

Congratulations to Susie, my awesome runner of a sister!

4 Comments:

  • At 10/28/07, 8:21 PM, Blogger Sherry said…

    Woo Hoo!! Congrats to your sister Susie on this accomplishment!!! No wonder you want to brag!!

    I'm not a runner either...so I really appreciate it when someone else can do this...I know what dedication and stamina it takes.

    I love that you are setting goals Katie...maybe you will run in the race next year...if you don't feel up to running, I hope you will be up to walking...I think you will be!!

     
  • At 10/28/07, 11:45 PM, Blogger lahdeedah said…

    Katie, your sister sounds like a stud :) But I'm even more impressed with your exuberant celebration of her achievement. Who wouldn't want a sister like you?

     
  • At 10/31/07, 8:44 PM, Blogger Jenster said…

    Congratulations to your sister! That is incredible!!

     
  • At 11/3/07, 6:57 PM, Blogger Crooked Eyebrow said…

    That is amazing, way to go !

     

Post a Comment

<< Home