Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on" I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Friday, September 28, 2007

ready to heal one more time

Surgery went well. I did fine. I didn’t wake up from the anesthesia screaming hysterically, so that to me was a success. I wasn't too nervous going in, probably because they kept me so busy in the pre-op many conversations around me, so many questions to answer over and over. They (the nurses, anesthesiologist, surgeon, surgeon's assistant, maybe even the janitor) all wanted to know my birthday, what surgeries I've had, and what I was having done that day.

And once again, like with my lumpectomy in February, they asked me to initial the side the surgeon would be removing. "Both sides," I said, "Do I still need to initial them?" The nurse thought it wouldn't be necessary. But she let me anyway. So I signed my initials and a little smiley face on each breast. Why not start the surgeon's day with a smile!

When I woke up I must have been on quite a roll. I had all the nurses laughing. I don't remember what I was saying but they were enjoying it. I do remember laughing myself, saying, "You know, it's not nice to laugh at someone when they're coming out of anesthesia!" One of the nurses, named Deena, wheeled me up to my room. She hung out with me a little longer, I guess because I was so entertaining.

I was surprisingly mobile after surgery. And the pain wasn't that bad. Of course, they kept giving me morphine which was pretty nice. They kept me on liquids the first 2 days, then I finally had a normal breakfast and lunch Thursday before checking out. My surgeon wanted me to stay that extra day (normally mastectomies go home after 1 day) because he knew I had 4 children and he thought I could use the rest. He is so great.

So I'm resting and healing at home, finally. I've received lots of encouraging cards, some beautiful flowers, and yummy meals from friends and neighbors. My parents are running the show at home so John can tend to me. I don't need much, just a place to sleep and someone to help me walk off the gas from the anesthesia!

I'll write more later, I promise.


  • At 9/29/07, 9:47 AM, Blogger Sherry Smyth said…

    KT, glad you're home and healing. Your spirit is wonderful, your sense of humour excellent..I'm sure the surgeon loved seeing your initials and smiley faces on "the girls". Your parents gave you life originally ~ you've now given yourself life. Positive thoughts and prayers that you have kicked this beast where it counts!!
    Relax, be pampered, be good to yourself and heal once day at a time.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home