Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on" I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Picture from Race for the Cure

I was so pleased when my parents, brother, and sister all came to town in May to walk (Susie ran) in the Race for the Cure. My sister was one of the top 10 fundraisers, too!

When my mom called in March to tell me they were thinking of walking, I seriously thought about joining them. But in March I was still doing the radiation thing, and I was feeling more than a little wiped-out. Even though the Race was to take place a month after my radiation ended, at that time I wasn't sure how long it would take to get my energy back. So I volunteered to work the water stop at mile-marker-1. Actually, I volunteered and then got picky about where I wanted to work. I'm sure the volunteer chairperson will not want to see my name on her list again next year! They wanted me to work the donation booth, but I rejected that and asked if I could be somewhere on the course. We settled on the water stop.

The water stop was so busy (not to mention in desperate need of order.....I have lots of suggestions for next year) that I didn't have time to take pictures of Susie as she ran by, or of David and my parents as they strolled by. I don't know why I thought I'd have free time!

It was the coolest thing to see the walkers and runners pass by, all walking and running to raise money for something that has hit my family so hard these last few months.

After everyone had passed by the water stop, we volunteers spent about 30 minutes cleaning up (again, lots of suggestions for improving this process next year!) and then I walked the mile back so I could watch my family cross the finish line. Everyone else waited for the volunteer bus, but I was anxious to get back there! Susie had already crossed the finish line and was enjoying some water. Together we watched for David, Mom, and Dad. It was a really great day. I think you can tell from our faces that we are proud of where we are and what we've all accomplished.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home