Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The port goes in at noon

I'm getting a port put in today. I think the correct term is "Port-a-Cath". It is a catheter they run in a major vein in my chest, below the collarbone. It allows the chemo nurses to put the IV in quickly, avoiding battle with the veins in my arms. Just plug and play.

For me, a port means hands-free chemo sessions....I can actually do something during treatment, instead of sitting with one arm extended so I don't interfere with the needle. Try reading a book with one hand! Page turning is a challenge. Not to mention retrieving the book from the floor.

So a port is a good thing. I'm just not thrilled about the incision. Or that I haven't been able to eat or drink since midnight. I'm starving! They use a twilight anesthesia, so I'll be "under" but not really. They say I could be sore for a few days, but that many people get their port done and then go right to chemo the same day.

Originally I had planned to do all my chemo treatments with my arm veins. I didn't think they were that bad. But since I almost ran out of veins at my first treatment, and since I can still see the marks on my arms (like a junkie) after just one treatment, I definitely see the value of the port. I just don't like the cutting part. But I'll get over it, hopefully by noon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home