Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Starting to rain hair....just call me PigPen!

My hair is starting to fall out! It started around Monday, just a few hairs at a time….on my pillow, on my brush….not in clumps at first, except for when baby Jesse grabbed a fistful.

Now it's a little more noticeable. Hairs all over the back of my shirt. All over baby. Just all over! (Ewww, GWOSS! as Frances would say.) I still have a lot of hair left, fortunately, so right now you really can't tell, unless you look in my bathroom trashcan or sink (which I don't recommend. It's GWOSS!)

But wouldn't you know, it's only the hair on my head that's shedding! How unfair! Not the hair on my legs or my armpits. Not the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin. Not my moustache (rats!) Not even the two little hairs in the mole on my right cheek. They're all sticking around for the show.

Well, yesterday I decided that I did not want to watch the show. My hair has been too good to me all these years. I can't watch its slow demise. So I made an appointment for Friday, at noon, to get it cut off. I might have it shaved, or maybe I'll leave some fuzz. I think by then it would be better just to take it all. But this way, I have taken control. The last thing I want to do is stand by and watch.

The best part of getting my hair cut while it still looks pretty good is that I'll be able to keep it, not chase strands around the house. Perhaps I'll store it in a special satin-lined box. Or maybe I'll have it made into a toupee for baby Jesse (there was an article in the paper last week about baby toupees, no joke!). My mom suggested we have some doll wigs made from it. We have lots of ideas.

And when my hair grows back in, which it eventually will, I'll have a sample of its original color in case I am forced to dye it. Or, if luck is with me, it will grow back blonde and curly!

A special P.S. to my brother David: You said you were going to shave your head to support me when I lose my hair. While I appreciate the offer, I have a different idea. Why not grow your hair in support of my baldness? After all, you're the one with the beautiful natural curls. (Why is it always the boy who gets the curl?) So if you can stand it, grow your hair out a little....(our mother asked me to add "Just not TOO long!")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home