Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

The greatest invention ever, next to the port!

This ponytail wig is the greatest invention ever. (OK, the port might be better, but it's in a different category)

I can't believe how cool this wig is. I found it online, at Hip Hats With Hair. Mine is called the PonySport. It fits under a baseball cap. I just love it. I ordered a hair color pretty close to mine, and paid an extra $16 to have some blonde mixed in. Why not, right? It turned out to be a very close match.

When Emma and Leah saw me wear my ponytail wig yesterday, they loved it. Leah ran to the porch and told everyone who walked by, "Mommy has a new wig!" (which is much better than a few weeks ago, when she told everyone "Mommy has booby cancer!") Frances hasn't noticed anything different about me. Baby just wants to tug at the baseball hat.

While my two oldest loved the wig, they were more fascinated with my hair underneath. They begged me to see it. I showed Emma after dinner, but waited until this morning to show Leah. (I didn't want her having nightmares last night if she was traumatized by my new look.) Emma thought my hair felt soft, although she pointed out that I have a weird flat spot on the back of my head.

Leah thinks my buzzed head is cool, too. She calls it my "Uncle David hair". Emma was outraged: "That's not very nice to say about Mommy's hair!" We assured her it was a compliment! Actually, it's a little shorter than my brother's crew cut, maybe 1/4 to 3/8"long? My hair will still fall out eventually, but at least the pieces are short. No more clogging up the vacuum. And I can gather up the little hairs with a lint roller now. Very convenient.

Oh, back to my wig. Again, it is the best. If you know of anyone going through chemo, or anyone losing their hair, be sure to tell them about Hip Hats With Hair: www.hatswithhair.com. They make ponytail wigs, wigs that fit under regular hats, wigs with scarves attached (great for kids), and wigs with swim caps attached. The woman who founded the company started making these wigs for a friend who had complained that traditional wigs were uncomfortable. When I called to order my PonySport, I placed my order with the founder. Apparently she mans the phones, too.

So my wig was a hit with everyone in the house. I can't say enough about it. Just wanted to share!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home