Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Well, it's not hideous!

I did it! My first (and hopefully only) buzz cut. I'm no Natalie Portman, but I don't look hideous....at least I don't think so.

I didn't even cry. I was too busy watching. It was fascinating! Kelly, my hairdresser, took the electric trimmer and shaved my hair off in sections. She piled up the hair on the table for me, so I could take it all home. It was a fairly large heap. I wrapped it carefully in foil and placed it in a gallon-size baggie. Still not sure if I'll set up a shrine for it or have a doll wig made from it (for my grandmother Katherine's doll. My mom has had it for years. I think the moths got the old wig.)

I am so proud that I didn't fall apart. I had decided to go by myself because I thought I'd be braver alone, but now I wish I had taken my dad up on his offer to go with me. He could have taken pictures, and he would have had fun flirting with Kelly, and her mom and grandmother.

Kelly also cut and styled my ponytail wig while I was there. It looked fabulous. I wore it home and ran some errands on the way. No one stared at me like I was a freak, at least not because of my hair. I felt like I blended in. Then later at the bus stop, my neighbors didn't even know it was a wig. That felt great!

Losing my hair has been the thing I was dreading the most, more than chemo if you can believe it. I'm glad I decided to say goodbye to my hair while it was still looking pretty good. It was incredibly freeing, taking charge. And I kind of like my new look. It's actually kind of cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home