Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Friday, September 14, 2007

What I learned from my new plastic surgeon

My new plastic surgeon is full of interesting information:
Apparently if you're slender, you can't make a fake breast out of your stomach, back, or butt. And you can't use donor tissue either (I've had several offers, thank you anyway). And bulking up between now and surgery will not help me create more usable tissue.

That's what I learned today at my consult with the plastic surgeon.

The original plan was to do the mastectomy and reconstruction together. The surgeon would do his thing, step aside, and let the plastic surgeon do his thing.

But, I learned today, when you're only 5 months out from completing radiation, you're not a good candidate for reconstruction. I need to be 8 months out, which is December/January-ish.

And since I'm officially too thin to offer part of my stomach, back or butt to build my new breast, my only option is implants. But at least I have an option!

So I'm now waiting on my surgeon to set a date for the mastectomy. Shouldn't be that complicated, only having to get 1 doctor in the operating room, right?

Stay tuned!

And please, I don't mean to be selfish because I know there are others out there in need, but if you can send your prayers/positive vibes/happy thoughts/whathaveyou my way, I would truly appreciate it. I am going crazy waiting on results of my bone scan, MRI, and PET scan. John is of the "no news is good news" mentality, and I am trying really hard to be that way too.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home