Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on" I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Port installation complete, just need my meds

As I said to my sister when she called this afternoon, "I've got great pain meds and I'm not afraid to use them."

I'm really sore and kind of loopy from the pain medication but the port is in. They left the needle in to make it easy for the chemo nurse to hook me up on Friday, so I've got lots of extra things (tubes and creepy stuff) sticking out. Quite a sight. The doctor assured me they'd remove it after chemo on Friday. Then I will just have a little lump, like a quarter stuck under my skin.

I have to carry a medical ID card with me that describes where the port is located. I'll need it in certain medical situations, and also if I set off any metal detectors (the nurses said it can happen)

The procedure itself didn't take very long, not that I remember it of course. We were late getting started. The doctor was about 40 minutes late. No one knew where he was, just that he was running late. So they retrieved my book from my bag of belongings and I read Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen, it's maybe the only one of hers I'd never read) until they wheeled me into the OR.

I had to remind the nurses several times that they could not throw out my hair, in case it spontaneously fell out during the operation. I told them my 4-year-old (this is true) wants to store it in a bag for me. They promised me they'd keep it. I was relieved to find it still attached when I woke up, although it was matted down in several spots. I don't want to know with what!

I can't shower for 2 days which is absolutely against my nature. John suggested we arrange a trash bag around my neck and he'd hose me down. I don't think he was kidding. He also offered to wash my hair in the sink, which would be great. I don't want to look like a bum for my treatment on Friday.

Well, enough about my personal hygiene. Off to take my painkillers and try to get some sleep!


  • At 10/12/06, 5:17 PM, Blogger Aldon Hynes said…

    Hi. I just stumbled across your blog from another blog. I've had several friends battle breast cancer, so I'd thought I'd follow your journey as well.

    Currently, my wife is fighting Lyme disease. She has a regular port in her arm, which makes showering more difficult. So, I've been washing her hair for her.

    Good luck. You will be in my thoughts. I liked your comment about your pain meds.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home