Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on"....so I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Bye-bye Boobies (or Ta Ta to my Ta Ta's?)

Well, the days have gone by so quickly since my 2nd diagnosis in August. I've practically lived at the hospital, with all these scans and tests and doctor visits. I haven't had time to visit my friend Susanne's new baby, who judging from the emailed pics is absolutely beautiful. I haven't had time to get the dining room cleared out so I have some scrapbooking space for my recovery. I haven't had time to organize the art closet to make it easier for everyone (my parents and the kids) to keep the girls busy with activities.

And, most upsetting, I haven't had time to organize a good-bye party for my breasts. I even thought of some great party themes: Ta-Ta to Kate's Ta-Ta's, Bon Voyage Boobies, Bye-Bye Boobies, Harrivaderci Hooters (OK, that's stretching it a bit).

Oh, did I say good-bye breastS? Yes, that was "breasts" plural. I decided to take them both, even though only 1 of them has cancer at the moment. Many reasons for this: symmetry for reconstruction, peace of mind knowing that there's less place for cancer to go. Who's to say it won't travel to the other one someday? I don't want to live in fear. And honestly, after nursing my 4 babies until their 1st birthdays....well, except for Jesse as I started chemo when he was 5 months old....my poor little 34-barely-B-cup breasts are just not what they used to be! Without the magic of Victoria's Secret, I'm practically concave in profile anyway. So I'm not too upset over it. Well, other than being upset about having cancer again and all, and wondering how many weeks after surgery until I can lift and carry and hold and snuggle my kids.....

On the bright side, since I have an actual deadline of Sept 25th (my surgery), I have been able to put some pressure on my husband to do a little bit of landscaping for me. "Oh honey, it would be so nice to have the yard looking so spiff while I recover...."

So, I have found time for gardening, and plan to spend this last pre-surgery weekend with my family, my breasts, and a whole bunch of flowers, bulbs, and hosta....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home