Gotta keep on keepin' on.......

Cancer again...that's 3 times in 2 years. This time it’s not breast cancer, but a new one called squamous cell carcinoma. New cancer, same old fighting spirit! My blog is still named for one of many songs that kept me going the first time around. Driving home from an upsetting appointment, I turned on the radio just as this line from Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner was playing: "I've got to keep on keepin' on" I did just that. And I'll do it again.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Day After Treatment #2 - Would be perfect if I could just sleep!

7:45am: I woke up this morning to my oldest daughter, Emma, at my side. "Mommy, we made you a special breakfast! Come downstairs!" I asked her to set the kitchen timer for 10 minutes and if I wasn't down by then, to send someone up to wake me. And so Leah bounced upstairs, right on time. The girls were so excited. I hurried downstairs to the kitchen and was greeted by all 3 girls, sitting like ladies at their places at the table, anxiously waiting for me to unveil my breakfast. It was so cute. They made me a plate full of Cheerios, saltines, a banana, and a big glass of water, all the things I can tolerate just after chemo. What thoughtful babies we have!

So my morning started out with a special gesture from my girls. They told me how they made custom breakfasts for everyone (Daddy got a huge bowl of cereal and a snack bar) all by themselves. Little Frances, 2-1/2 years old, chimed in, "I helped tuuu". Emma and Leah quickly corrected her, "No! She didn't help!" "Yes I DID!" "No you didn't" and so on......bringing the morning to its usual close.

I feel good today, tired but too wired to nap. I tried a few times. Those steroids they sneak in with the anti-nausea drugs make me much too peppy. I feel like I'm talking a mile a minute, faster than usual. I want to sleep but I can't! So I kept busy: planted flowers by the mailbox and lamppost, played Monkey in the Middle with the kids, walked baby Jesse in his stroller, ran around helping Emma balance on her bike (she still hasn't quite mastered the "no training wheels" thing), played Charades with Leah....stuff like that. My oncologist did say I could exercise when I felt up to it. And I didn't feel like sitting around like a lump today.

My evil plan was to make my body so tired that it can't help but sleep tonight. My evil plans sometimes backfire, though. I'll let you know how it goes!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home